Thursday, October 20, 2011

Skittle's Pediatric Surgeon Appointment...

Today I met with Dr. Fisher.  An amazing Dr!!  If only we could take him to where ever it is that I deliver.  *sigh*  Hopefully her surgeon is just as amazing!!  He gave me lots of info, some I knew, some I did not.  He told me that Skittle should have the "open" procedure done.  Meaning, don't let them do a scope to fix her herniated diaphragm.  An open procedure has better outcomes, and less chance of it reherniating.  He said the surgery is relatively easy, and that she should do fine with the surgery itself, it's of course, the after effects... of how the lungs will do, etc.  He said that as long as she is stable, she should be able to have the surgery within 3-5 days after birth.  He said that if she makes it to term, she has about a 70-75% chance of surviving.  *sigh*  He said that he agrees with me on wanting a referral to Portland.  He referred me to see Dr. Ilg, the neonatologist, so that I could talk to him, and get the best recommendation and referral to Portland.  I will see and speak with him on 11/11.

Can't she just stay in my tummy till she is bigger and stronger to live on the outside???  ♥

1 comment:

  1. That percentage just made me cry. Anything less than 100% is scary.

    ReplyDelete